Gummy smile can have a negative effect on the esthetics of the smile. It may occur in different Angle classes of maxillary dysmorphosis. The gummy smile can be corrected through multiple treatment plans.
Some of the reasons why gummy smile exist:
1. Teeth covered by excessive gum might not show their proper size even if they have the correct length. This is due to the abnormal teeth eruption.
2. Another cause of the gummy smile is the hyperactivity of the upper lip.
3. Or the vertical maxillary excess which cause excessive protrusion of the upper jaw within the gum tissue.
Treatments varies according to the etiological factors, perception, and patient expectations:
1. Same-day laser treatments (in minor cases).
2. Surgical lip repositioning.
3. Orthodontics (Braces) to move the teeth into more suitable positions.
4. Surgical sculpting of the gingival tissues and bone to create healthier and more attractive looking gum contours.
5. Maxillofacial surgery to reposition the bone.
Wishing that this presentation can open discussion on different applicable techniques.